09 September 2012
The key to a better economy for a country is held by education. But that is not the only area where the country is facing flak. In the matter of the sex ratio also it seems that there are 832 girls for every 1000 boys. So, these have found some prominence among a list of other schemes towards the development. Apart from the Central government even the State Government are doing their bit to ensure that the gaps are met. Uttar Pradesh government, in a recent announcement has combined both the factors to create a scheme for the girls in order to enable them to acquire higher education with ease.
What is this scheme
The Kanya Vidya Dhan scheme encourages girl students from economically backward families to pursue higher studies after their Intermediate. Under this scheme girls are provided with a one time amount of Rs.30,000 to pursue education after Intermediate. The scheme is however applicable only to those whose annual family income lies within a said range. The girls are through this scheme encouraged to take up higher studies and are thus provided with means of doing so. The one-time financial assistance is given for the sole purpose of higher education.
Who is eligible
- Applicant should be a permanent resident or domicile of Uttar Pradesh
- Applicant should have completed Intermediate from a government or government recognized college or University in the state in the year 2012 onwards
- Applicant must be willing to pursue higher education in a government or government recognized college or university
- The annual income of the family of the girl should not exceed Rs.35,000 from all means
- Applicant should have secured admission or should have applied for a position in a college or university for higher education in the state
The selected applicants will be provided with a one-time amount of Rs.30,000 which has to be used for their higher education and not for any other purpose. The scheme however has no other incentive or maintenance allowance to its credit and is only regarded with a one-time financial assistance.
How to apply
The application forms are available in the office of the District Inspector of School. Applicants have to fill up the form and can be submitted in the same office along with the required documents such as those of proof of passing the Intermediate examination on 2012 or above and income certificates stating that the applicant meets the income criteria. The last date for receiving the application for Kanya Vidya Dhan for this year would be September 20, and the district magistrate has been directed to ensure that SDMs and Tehsildars issue income certificate to girl's parents for deciding his family income.
Where to apply
Office of District Inspector of Schools