06 September 2012
The State Governments of the nation are marching head over heels in order to ensure that the literacy rate in their state doesn’t go anywhere but up. In order to make this happen these states have come out with a variety of schemes which are not only scholarships but also a lot of such schemes which are aimed at empowering the future of the state through the tool called education. So, in an array of state governments declaring various schemes for the different sections of the society, one such state government is that of Uttar Pradesh which among many schemes has one for those hailing from Below Poverty Line families.
What is this scheme
The Government of Uttar Pradesh through its Ministry of Social Welfare Department has declared a scholarship scheme which is aimed at the students who hail from Below Poverty Line families. The scheme of scholarship aims to provide a monthly allowance to those who hail from Below Poverty Line families and are pursuing studies after matriculation(class 11 onwards) or post-senior secondary grades. Through this scheme, the government aims to provide scholarship to those studying in government recognized secondary and senior secondary school who hail from Below Poverty Line families.
Who is eligible
- Applicants should be a permanent resident of the State
- Applicants should compulsorily hail from Below Poverty Line(BPL) family
- Applicant should have passed matriculation or higher secondary or other higher examination from a recognized university or board of secondary education
- The annual income of the parents of the applicant should not exceed Rs. 1 Lac per annum from all sources
- Students who are pursuing their higher education through distance or correspondence are also eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Scholarship will be given to the student till the completion of the course subject to good conduct and regular attendance of the student
The Scholarship will be given on a per month basis to both day scholars and hostellers. The amount is fixed which is not subject to change. The scholarship will be given for 10 months in an year. The rate at which scholarship is provided is fixed as –
- i)Rs. 235 per month for Hostellers
- ii)Rs. 140 per month for Day Scholars
How to apply
The scheme is announced usually in the month of May-June through the local newspapers. Application forms are available to the Principals of the respective schools from which the students are applying. Filled-in application has to be submitted to the principal of the respective school. Selection of students will be done by a committee in the school which will be headed by the Headmaster as the chairperson and have a senior member of the school management, a senior teacher and 2 guardians of students from the community as its members.
Where to apply
The applications should be submitted to the school which in turn will submit the selected applicants to the following authority.
3, Prag Narain Road,
Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh).
Tel.: 91-522-2209259; Fax: 91-522-2209275