24 June 2012
The Indian Government has been on an intensive drive to provide financial assistance to those who are from the economically disadvantaged sections. But even then, the ratio and proportions do not match up and some are still left out. In order to fill in this gap a number of private entities are stepping up to help them. One such entity is the Sophia Merit Scholarship Inc., a charitable non-profit corporation with the aim of improvement of the lives of deserving and financially disadvantaged people. It provides a scholarship exclusively for those aspiring to be an engineer. The scholarship will cover the total cost.
What is this scholarship
The Sophia Merit Scholarship Inc. has declared a scholarship for the students belonging financially disadvantaged sections. The scholarship will be provided to meritorious and deserving students. Scholarship will cover a substantial amount of tuition fee, boarding and lodging fee for the entire period of the course in the subsequent years subject to some conditions being fulfilled. The scholarship will be continued in the subsequent years subject to the condition that the student maintains the merit status in his/her engineering career. The scholarship will only provide a substantial amount and help them in completing their higher education with ease.
Who is eligible
- Applicant must be a citizen of India
- Applicant should have completed Higher secondary education
- Applicant must have gained admission into an undergraduate course in Engineering in a recognized college or University in India
- Applicant must demonstrate the financial need in order to be able to receive the scholarship
- Applicant must have a good track record in a academics and even extra-curricular activities if possible
- Preference will be given in the order of highest merit status and lowest financial status
- Applicants entering college or university in their first year are eligible to apply
The scholarship will cover a substantial amount of the tuition fee, boarding and lodging fee for the whole period of the course. The scholarship will be renewed every subsequent year subject to the condition that the student maintains his/her merit status in the course by securing good marks in the subsequent years to follow in the course.
How to apply
Application forms are available for download in the website. Completed application forms along with proof of admission into Engineering college for the year, attested copy of higher secondary mark sheet and proof of income of parents as certified by the employer or proper authorities should reach the office by mid September (exact dates to be notified on website annually).
Where to apply
The website for application form download http://www.sophiascholarship.org/SOPHIA_AppForm_2011.pdf
Official Website : http://www.sophiascholarship.org/
SOPHIA MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS INC
5437 TREE SIDE DRIVE
CARMICHAEL CA 95608
Phone: 916-485-4238, 916-359-5104, 408-997-2702